Identifying And Getting Rid of An Ant Infestation In Your Anderson Home
October 15, 2022 - Ants
When we come home, we want to close the door and leave all cares and worries behind us. We want our homes to be a place of refuge and where we can relax. The presence of pests like ants can ruin the comforting environment we crave. When we see ants in the house, we know something is wrong, and we certainly don't want to feel them crawling over us!
If you have ants in your house, you need the Anderson pest control team from Priority Pest And Contracting Inc. We are experts in ants; we will eliminate them from your home so you can relax in your place of refuge.
How To Identify An Ant Infestation In Your Home
More than 700 species of ants are in the United States; so far, 183 are in South Carolina. Of the ant species in our state, these are the four species that are problematic for homeowners:
- Pavement ants: If you see a small pile of dirt around a crack in the pavement, near stones in the yard, or against the foundation of your home, you probably have pavement ants. A sign of pavement ants in your house is a trail of ants leading to a food source like a bowl of dog food on the floor.
- Carpenter ants: If you see small holes in wood structures with what appears to be sawdust next to them, you likely have carpenter ants. Another sign is a swarm of flying ants or ants with wings in the home.
- Odorous house ants: If you see ants moving along baseboards, counters, wires, or pipes, you probably have this ant species in your Anderson home. They use edges as guidelines as they travel throughout the house.
- Fire ants: Large mounds in the yard next to the foundation or landscaping structures are signs of fire ants.
If you see these signs of ants in your home or on the property, you need ant control near you like Priority Pest And Contracting Inc to stop the infestation before they cause damage.
The Many Problems Ants Can Create In Your Home
Ants in the house contaminate food. Ants travel over rotting food, feces, and polluted surfaces and pick up pathogens along the way. When they walk over food, bacteria and viruses on their bodies fall off and taint the food.
Carpenter ants cause structural damage to houses. Black carpenter ants in your home bore through moist, damaged wood to create nests weakening the wood.
Although they may enter the home through HVAC systems, fire ants typically stay outside in mounds next to structures. If these mounds are disturbed, fire ants rush out to sting the perceived attacker and inflict a painful wound.
Why You Should Call The Pros About Ants In Your House
Do-it-yourself (DIY) products will kill ants on contact, but they are not an effective way to get rid of ants. The problem with DIY solutions is that they do not destroy the source of the problem: the eggs.
Effective ant control requires the destruction of the current ant population and their nests. Our professionals from Priority Pest And Contracting Inc determine the ant species infesting your property, create a strategy to eliminate the current and future population of ants (the eggs), and end the problem.
Six Easy And Effective Tips To Prevent Future Ant Infestations
These six tips will prevent a future invasion of ants on your Anderson property:
- Remove standing water from the property
- Repair leaky pipes and replace water-damaged wood
- Provide proper ventilation to the crawlspace, attic, and basement
- Trim tree branches away from the house
- Remove wood debris from the yard
- Seal cracks and gaps in the foundation
Practicing good sanitation inside and outside the house will discourage ants from entering the structure. Contact the pest control professionals at Priority Pest And Contracting Inc. and stop ants from infesting your home!